The year 2011 marked the dawn of McCrery Funeral Home's second century of continuous service. In conjunction with this historic milestone, and to more accurately reflect ownership of the company, effective 1/1/11, the name was changed to McCrery & Harra Funeral Homes and Crematory, Inc.
In 1911, 23 year old Albert J. McCrery began to offer his services as a funeral director to the Wilmington community. He started out as an apprentice in 1905 to John R. Kilmer, and later became associated with J. B. Martin. His business was first operated out of 825 Pine St., and later his home at 215 W. 24th Street. Mr. McCrery served the community as the deputy coroner during the 1917-1918 flu pandemic. As the tradition of holding a funeral in a private residence waned in popularity, Mr. McCrery built the first building in Wilmington designed specifically as a funeral home in 1931. The building was located at 2700 Washington Street and operated continuously for some 50 years. In 1952 Mr. McCrery purchased the former Hearn Funeral Home at 3203 Market Street which operated for a number of years.
When the population began to shift to the suburbs west and north of the city, Mr. McCrery purchased the Hollingsworth residence at 3010 Kirkwood Highway (Prices Corner) and property at 3924 Concord Pike (Talleyville), then an apple orchard. Mr. McCrery, Sr. died in 1962 and the ownership of the business transferred to Albert J. McCrery, Jr., the second generation of the family to operate the funeral home. Under Mr. McCrery, Jr.'s guidance, the property at 3924 Concord Pike was developed, and twice expanded. Also, when the state of Delaware planned the Rt. 141 interchange at Rt. 2, the 3010 Kirkwood Highway location was razed and the location moved to 3710 Kirkwood Highway. Prior to his 1999 death, Mr. McCrery, Jr. had transferred ownership of the business to his son, Albert J. McCrery, III, who continued and refined the traditions of excellence established by his father and grandfather until his retirement in 2008. A 30-year employee of McCrery's, Richard W. Harra, purchased the company from Mr. McCrery in 2008 and continues, with his family and staff, to offer the quality service McCrery Funeral Home has become known for.
During the McCrery history, there have been several former long term licensed funeral directors on staff who have been instrumental in the success and longevity of the business including the now deceased Edwin F. McCoy, George H. Miller, Michael J. O'Connor, George H. Pinder, and retirees, Oscar H. Orr, S. Elbert Evans, Philip C. Lind, and Michael W. Sowden.
McCrery & Harra Funeral Homes and Crematory is proud to say that we are in our fourth generation of family owned, family operated business as we strive to offer consistent, dignified care to the residents of our Wilmington community.